Lodge refurbishment disappointment

Get to know other Lodge Owners.
ATKI004

Good morning, having read the latest Newsletter and absorbed what was said about LRHC finances and Lodge refurbishment, we feel rather disappointed. Richard has been demonstrating at Weekly Meetings and in the Newsletter, the apparently large sums generated by Lodge Rentals for LRHC, but this does not seem to be translating into Lodge Refurbishment? Yes, we appreciate that tarmac needs renewing, together with ongoing repairs and maintenance, but other than completing the Red Deer block (so pleased for you lucky Red Deers! :D ), there is no mention of the future Refurbishment Programme. Otters, Red Squirrels, Lochsides and other Lodges need help too please. We will not be able to sell weeks in such Lodges unless they are attractive to potential buyers. Let me guess: Pine Martens, Red Deers and refurbished Highlands are selling and renting well?

We know that our Committee is having to juggle rising prices and Lodges are being returned and we thank you all for doing a good job in difficult circumstances, but can you please give people who have a Lodge in need of modernisation some idea of when this will happen? If the remaining Red Deers are to be completed 'this year', does this mean it is unlikely that any other Lodges are to be undertaken until 2024 or beyond? (Please note that I didn't mention 11% increase in Management Fees).

Thank you for taking the time to read this and we look forward to your response.
Richard

Dear Mrs Atkinson,

Thank you for your post and for expressing your concerns regarding the lodge refurbishment schedule.

I understand your concern about the timeline for refurbishment of different lodges. Please be assured, we are equally committed to ensuring that all our lodges, including Otters, Red Squirrels, Lochsides, and others, are refurbished and maintained to the highest standards. The betterment of our facilities and lodges is a cornerstone of our commitment to providing the best possible experience to our members.

However, the refurbishment process is a significant undertaking that requires careful planning, scheduling, and budgeting. The revenue generated from lodge rentals, as you pointed out, goes into general operations, necessary maintenance like tarmac renewing, as well as our refurbishment programme.

With regards to the Red Deer lodges, I can confirm that the refurbishment is continuing this year as planned, starting with the top 4 lodges. We understand the anticipation surrounding this and are excited to see the results ourselves.

Looking ahead, we will be presenting a comprehensive outlook on our future refurbishment plans at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) in December. This will include specific timelines, the scope of the refurbishments, and other pertinent details related to this project, and we believe it will address many of the concerns you have raised.

Your understanding and patience in this matter is greatly appreciated. It is our sincere hope that the upcoming refurbishments will significantly enhance your experience at the Loch Rannoch Highland Club.

Thank you again for bringing this matter to our attention. We highly value feedback from our members as it helps us to continually improve our services. Should you have any more questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Best wishes,

Richard
LAMO003

I have just returned from a week in a Highland lodge which has not been refurbished.
After speaking to long time owners like myself and renters I am of the opinion we should postpone any refurbishments for at least the next 2 years.

With the many various issues in lodges of all types and I don't know if many owners have read the budget forecast for next year in any great detail, but it would appear rentals alone and the projected additional funds from other sources would not be sufficient to fund the refurbishments required without having owners paying another large increase or even ANOTHER one off levy.
When the wages bill is more than 50% of generated income, it would appear after all other costs and once again increased depreciation and no doubt further capitalisation, rentals alone are insufficient and sales must be priority to generate guaranteed income.
We have to remember now there is no longer over 4000 owners generating guaranteed income and as owner numbers reduce the burden of payment is put on them.
I feel we should be ensuring all lodges are wind and water tight, all faults are rectified and make the overall Club look attractive for potential buyers of which for now would not appear to be forthconing.

The renters I spoke to, and who were in studios would not entertain buying a lodge-not because it was not refurnished, but because of simple issues easily rectified to make it a more attractive proposition.

What do other owners think?
ATKI004

So now what impact is the proposed Planning Application for Holiday Apartments at the Marina going to have on LRHC?
LAMO003

I don't know is the honest answer, but I think meaningful dialogue is important.

The bigger issue is who will conduct that meaningful dialogue?
HIRS003

Meaningful dialogue is certainly important and as to who will conduct it the answer is a small number of Committee Members plus our General Manager. I'm sure that Mr Pattie will want to bring his own GM to some of the discussions. We have received a large number of responses to the recent survey which will shortly be circulated to all Club Members. There have been some interesting comments and observations which we are studying and in addition we have had a large number of emails on the subject outwith the Survey. Some of the comments made are simply ineligible to be used as a formal objection. The council website gives guidance on what is acceptable and what is not. It is pointless for us to submit objections which will go straight into the council's waste bin because of legal ineligibility. What we need are well-reasoned arguments which the Planning Officer has to consider.

Nevertheless, all points made, even if irrelevant for the Authority, will be included in our discussions with the hotel team. It is often tempting in these circumstances to include at meetings anybody who has made a comment. I've been at public meetings at home where this happens and such meetings udsually end in chaos with out any progress. Our team wil be a tight one, fully appraised of all the matters of concern. Bear in mind that we are in the position of having in-depth knowledge of how the Club and hotel inter-relate on an on-going basis.

We are all in favour of good relations with the hotel, after all a couple of years ago we negotiated the agreement for leisure activities. All of us enjoy a drink in the bar and a meal as well. But we have to conduct negotiations in the best interests of the Club Members. I have a good relationship with Nick Pattie and remember his efforts in the days when he ran the whole place. But I am dealing with an experienced businessman and I have to remember that.

Best wishes to all, John
LAMO003

Hi John,

Thanks for response.
Glad to see constructive dialogue will take place as together both create a thriving Kinloch Rannoch.

One of the main comments made I believe said " the hotel could become a direct competitor to the Club" however this point is arguable.

The club could be accused of stepping on local hotel shoes as we have offered 1- 3 night rentals, and as I have said previously, I can totally understand in light of the need to increase club finances in the short term.

However when such rentals became part of the norm for the Club, creating many various issues such as extra cleaning etc could it not be said the club became a competitor to the hotel?
THOM042

Its good to know that there will be purposeful dialogue with LRE with a view to maintaining good relations however short of a competent and successful objection to the planning application I suspect that the application will be approved in due course, with perhaps an amendment or two in keeping with objections raised.
LRE have not made this application on impulse, quite the reverse and will not retract in my opinion.
I believe that there is an official public policy of development for the area and that this application will be viewed favourably.
Time will tell