JUNE NEWSLETTER

All club newsletters will be posted in this forum.
LAMO003

What are owners thinking, when reading some of the statements referring to increases in this newsletter?

For example- should owners also pay a fee for pets?
THOM042

I’m concerned about the Leisure charge which is now to be rising as stated. I do not consider the current charge to be worth it or even fair since owners do not have the right to opt out of the Leisure charge and so not use the facilities and if one doesn’t use the facilities then you are charged anyway.
On a recent visit my guest snd I visited the pool once and it will be the last time as the changing / shower area was in a filthy condition and had clearly not received recent standard cleaning.
One visit for less than an hour only made it a very expensive visit.
And yes this has already been brought to the attention of LRHC
THOM042

LAMO003 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:35 pm What are owners thinking, when reading some of the statements referring to increases in this newsletter?

For example- should owners also pay a fee for pets?
Personally I think that all lodge users should pay a fee for bringing their pets to the lodges. My reason for this is because generally the presence of a pet equates to extra work and thus time in cleaning for the housekeeping staff. Also some people are allergic to animal hair and this is the case with 2 younger members of my family. Exposure to any animal hair causes an allergic reaction and usually their eyes become bloodshot and swelling around the eyes and lids.
In effect it means that they cannot ever use any of the lodges since none are pet free and there’s not a policy banning pets from lodges
LAMO003

Totally agree.

I have a dog and if I go anywhere else, including other timeshare premises I have always had to pay an extra levy.
At the lake District- marina village around 5 years ago I had to pay £40.

I also know when a motion was put forward by owners it was apparently rejected.
What was strange about this outcome was, the majority of owners I spoke to at AGM were in favour, but the chair at that time was against.
I wonder how many committee members now would agree to charging owners?
I can think of at least one who would refuse and they have a dog.
ATKI004

Writing as owners of a much loved dog, we would be happy to pay a fee for bringing him along to enjoy Rannoch. As others have already said, Lodges need much more cleaning if a dog has stayed there which equates to extra cleaning time and extra cleaning materials, which generates a significant cost to the Club. All dogs lose hairs, some dogs drool and splutter at times, some dogs make a mess when they eat, others come with doggie odour and as another Owner mentioned, many people are allergic. After all it costs a lot more in Kennelling Fees too if you leave your dog at home, so a fee at Rannoch would be tiny in comparison!

The Leisure Fee is bound to split opinions. I think most Lodge Owners would agree that the Hotel and available facilities have enhanced the appeal of the Club. It is much better to have a smart Hotel amidst our Lodges, rather than the run-down building it was before.
We have dined there and used the Spa, whilst our family have used the Pool and we would miss it if we were unable to use these facilities. However we fully appreciate that some Lodge Owners do not use the Hotel facilities and we understand that some people object to paying for facilities that they do not use and would prefer a 'pay as you use' arrangement.
Sure that the Hotel Management would miss the income from LRHC if we withdrew from the Leisure Fee arrangement too - would he really bar the door to Owners and Renters if they were willing to pay for dining, pool and the spa on a 'pay as you use' basis? I don't think so. The Hotel needs the income, particularly out of season.
Perhaps the time has come for the Committee to revisit the current Leisure Fee arrangement. Surely Owners and Renters could buy into a 'Use of Hotel and facilities' deal if they wished and have a card or wristband to identify them? Loads of Hotels operate this, it would be down to the Hotel Management to administer it and it would avoid the current scenario of Owners having the Leisure Fee thrust upon them when they never use the Hotel?

The AGM is approaching, so perhaps we can have a Motion about paying for dogs and another about the Leisure Fee?
LAMO003

Many good points about bringing dogs to the Club.
It is , in my opinion a no brainer.

I remember a member of committee once saying that kids were worse than dogs so why not charge for kids.
I also remember saying " what planet are you on", but sadly some on committee might agree with what the committee member said???

I am sure if you put motion forward you will find a willing seconder.

Re the hotel, although I can understand the frustration about paying for something you may not use, and I say this as someone who has not, I am all in favour of paying as it can help when we eventually start selling lodges again.

The club now needs a hotel in the same way the hotel needs the Club.
THOM042

Fair comment Stuart but there is a principle here in as much as why should any owner who does not want to use the leisure facilities for whatever reason, have a leisure fee imposed upon them?
All I can say is that I won’t use the facilities on my next visit to LRHC after my recent experience , nor will my partner but we will have the fee to pay regardless
Last edited by THOM042 on Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ATKI004

How do Owners feel about the Leisure Fee, now that the Hotel has submitted plans for Holiday Apartments at the Marina and we're unlikely to be welcome to use the Leisure facilities in the future? (This is just an assumption, nothing confirmed but probably likely).
LAMO003

It won't appeal to all, but provides an additional feature when selling.

Right now there is circa 50% of lodges up for sale.

The new salesperson has a job on their hands and if no leisure facilities, he is as well tying them up behind his back I feel.
THOM042

It would be interesting to know how many more lodges have been sold because the Leisure facilities are available.
I’m personally not impressed with the leisure facilities available and don’t regard these as value for money, however the Committee as Directors do have the authority to impose a leisure fee on all owners whether they use the facilities or not.
That doesn’t necessarily make it right or fair however, especially when there’s rising costs and potentially prevailing circumstances regarding the development.
If I were a potential new owner deciding on whether to buy a week, I would be deterred by the manadatory requirement to pay for the leisure facilities.
Only my opinion, which counts for nothing of course
ROBE007

Hi
I don't have a dog, my family are allergic to dogs therefore if any of my Grandchildren come for a visit to Rannoch we have to deep clean the Lodge ourselves to try to get rid of the Dog Hairs before they arrive. The number of Dogs at Rannoch has increased massively in recent years plus we now have the fast turnaround of Renters who may also be bringing Dogs. It's impossible for Staff to thoroughly clean the Lodges of Dog Hairs in such a short period of time. Therefore dogs should be limited to ONE ONLY and kept off beds.
Ronnie
HIRS003

Referring specifically about paying for leisure when you are not a User - effectively a Pay As You Go system, your Committee would be delighted with such an arrangement. We have asked Nick Pattie for this at every meeting but he has declined. My next scheduled face to face meeting is at the end of September, and I shall indeed ask again.

Nick's point is that to administer PAYG would seriously increase costs and so the price would have to rise substantially. As is often the case with Committee business there are no simple answers. If we please one set of people we then find that we have disadvantaged another set. We try to go with the majority.

Regards, John
THOM042

That is most interesting and perhaps encouraging for many owners since the impression previously given was that the decision to keep, the current arrangement/ contract for leisure facilities was a done deal.
If individual owners are happy to pay to use the facilities, in their current state then I have no issue with that but it seems to me that LRE call all the shots with regard to the contract and I’m not comfortable with that personally.
I remember many moons ago, when employed in a past occupation , I found myself with an issue whereby I was somewhat compromised and thus uncomfortable with it and I discussed it with an “old hand “ at the time who heard me out. He then lit up his pipe and there was silence for a couple of minutes until the verdict was delivered…………….
The verdict when it came was “ Always be in control of your own destiny (…. you’re not) , and once you sort that out then you will be fine.
I realised that he was right and that I must somehow take steps to take control of my own destiny. This I did, although there was a lot of grief in the short term but it worked out for the best by far.
This has been my own yardstick ever since and it works for me
ROBE007

I am somewhat confused as to what exactly is the 'Condition of the Pool Area' a couple of owners have referred to in a seemingly negative way? Could they perhaps elaborate, as my wife and I have used the Pool; Steam Room and Sauna on numerous occasions when we are staying in our Lodge but also when we visit Rannoch and stay at the Hotel and quite apart from the odd Locker not locking properly, it has always been clean with sufficient 'shower products'; Hair Dryer; etc.

It's certainly very popular with LRHC Owners and their children or grandchildren, it always brings a smile to my face watching the children hurry down to the Pool with Towels rolled up and carried under arm as I did as a lad at my local swimming baths. Whilst we old codgers may not partake in the joys of a swim let's remember the younger and next generation of LRHC Owners that do, and don't do anything too hasty that might spoil their chance to use the pool.
Ronnie
THOM042

Just to clarify then. During my last visit in June this year my partner who is a retired nurse and myself visited the pool and found both the male and female changing / showering areas in a filthy condition despite the fact that hardly anyone else was using the pool at that time. We cut short our visit and made it our one and only and no doubt last visit to the pool. This was brought to the attention of LRHC and I later got a reply from LRE, unconvincing though it was.
If others are happy to be in unhygienic places then so be it
ROBE007

I personally can't imagine ANY Club Member being 'Happy' about any unhygienic area, particularly in the Pool area. Personally I would either have phoned Hotel Reception directly from the Pool Area or popped in and raised concerns directly with Reception or the Manager rather than let some other Club Member or Hotel Guest wander in, with perhaps young children, to an Unhygienic Area. It would also seem only fair to give the Hotel a chance to rectify matters otherwise you would be merely second guessing that they were even aware it.

Ronnie
THOM042

With regards to the last response, Pool operators have a duty to be aware of and ensure reasonable cleanliness and a proportionate response re this was made via LRHC and with the hotel Manager.
Its not any customer’s responsibility to stand by either and ensure that all’s well for the next set of people using the facilities.
This is not an isolated incident either and others whom I do not even know have voiced similar concerns.
My choice and my partner’s choice was to exit after a short visit and I’ll leave it at that